Saturday, December 26, 2009

About Christmas in Japan

Some of you might been wondering how I spent Christmas in Japan. So, let me enlighten you.
(Speaking of light, the illuminations were ... well, the ones in Omotesando are nice, but the rest of Tokyo feels like, "Christmas? What's Christmas?)

Since Japan is not a Christian country, they don't really celebrate Christmas the way Europeans or Americans do. Instead, they're having parties with their friends or, really popular, dates. So on December 25th, the streets and stores are brimming with couples.

Since I didn't have a date (did I hear pathetic?) and couldn't celebrate with my family either, I met up with a German friend who's in Keio at the moment (like 90% of my friends? ^^;) on the 24th (German Christmas day) and tried to find the most German-ish Christmas lunch in Shibuya. My normal 24th food is Potato soup with sausages, hers Potato salad with sausages. (Yes, Germans do like sausages. But we have to keep it simple on the 24th because the 25th usually involves eating a looooot with the whole family.) Of course, neither of them was anywhere to be found. So we ended up at a place called Shakey's that had an all-you-can-eat pizza and pasta buffet plus drink for only a bit more than 1.000 Yen per person. (*___*) We sat there and ate until we were really full, had a nice chat and then moved on to do Purikura. xD Afterwards, we ate a bit of Baumkuchen my parents had sent me and then parted. At home, I skyped my family, called my Grandma and all that kind of stuff.
Yesterday, I did karaoke with a friend from one of my classes here. We called it a "date with Arashi", because out of the 4 hours (!) we spent in the box, we sang 80% Arashi songs. XD (Gosh, my throat hurts. I'm really bad with songs by guys because my voice is not low enough.)
And today, I'm gonna meet another German friend who's over from Kyoto. So I'm not lonely at all. :)

I hope you all had a nice Christmas as well!

2 comments:

  1. Achja, Studenten haben es gut :)
    Mein Weihnachten hier in Japan war wie immer "nicht vorhanden". Es wurde natürlich durchgearbeitet. Und weil Dezember in der Regel die "stressigste" Zeit ist, auch am Sonntag :(
    Bei der Beleuchtung muss ich dir recht geben, die übertreiben es hier gerne ein wenig und sind ganz überrascht, wenn man ihnen mitteilt, dass es im Heimatland nicht so krass ist XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Studenten haben es auch nicht "gut". Klar, wir kriegen mal Ferien, aber dafür verdienen wir auch kein Geld und müssen uns mit baito über Wasser halten.

    ReplyDelete